Cats and small dogs can travel on C&J buses for $15 per pet
C&J allows passengers to travel on-board a C&J motorcoach with their pets. C&J’s Carry-On Pet Program allows passengers to transport their small cat or dog on the bus. Please follow these guidelines and steps to give yourself and your pet a safe and happy trip!
Prior to Boarding
• Notifying the C&J about your intention to travel with a pet prior to your trip is not necessary.
• Please arrive with your cat or dog in a pet carrier. Pet owners must provide the pet carrier. For safety, your pet must be able to sit and lie down comfortably without touching the sides of the carrier.
• The maximum size for pet carriers is 19 inches x 14 inches x 10.5 inches. The maximum weight of a pet with carrier is 20 pounds. The carrier may be hard or soft sided but must be leak proof and well ventilated.
• A $15.00 surcharge will be assessed for each one-way trip.
• Before traveling with you pet on C&J, you will need to fill out a Pet Release & Indemnification Agreement for each one-way trip you are planning to take with your pet. You can visit this site to download the agreement or, you can grab a printed version of the agreement at our terminals. Please make sure your pet is up to date on all vaccinations as you are accepting liability for your pet by filling out the agreement and signing the check-in document.
• Pets must remain inside their carrier while on the bus, and must remain with the owner at all times.
• Pet carriers are to be placed under your seat and not under the seat in front of you or the seat beside you.
Other Important Information
• Your pet must be at least eight weeks old and be odorless, harmless, not disruptive, and require no attention during travel. C&J maintains the right to refuse acceptance, and may remove any pet exhibiting these issues from terminals and buses.
• C&J does not accept liability for the health and well-being of pets.
• C&J does not ship pets or allow them to travel as checked baggage; a pet must travel with a human.
• One passenger may travel with one pet.
• If traveling between New York City and Ogunquit, ME or Tewksbury, MA, please call C&J's Customer Care at 800.258.7111 for prior travel arrangements as customer service representation is not available at either the arrival nor departure locations.
• Service animals that meet ADA requirements are not governed by the Pet Policy and a fee is not required for their travel on C&J buses. Comfort animals and emotional support animals (ESA) are classified as pets and must meet policy guidelines.
• Our locations in Dover, Portsmouth, and Newburyport have temporary pet carriers for sale should you need one upon arrival.